Saturday, January 15, 2011

andy roddick sports pics

Even as he reflects on a week of superb tennis in Brisbane, where he was barely troubled in racing through a field of high quality, that loss is a constant reminder that reputation is worthless on the grand stage.

“I fear everybody,” Soderling said. “I know that I have a good chance to do really well if I play good tennis like here. But I have to play well.

“Last year I showed I wasn't at my best and I lost in the first round. You have to be really prepared for every match.”

Preparations don't get much better. Roddick tried every trick in a second set that was halted when rain drifted onto the covered court but for the best part, was shut out by Soderling's spectacular serve and potent forehand.

Soderling launched 16 aces from his six-foot-four frame and Roddick didn't get a single chance to break. Roddick is used to dominating service games but found himself in the strange position of being on the sharp end of a serving clinic.

It was a victory that will have Soderling's Australian Open rivals on notice. He knows if he can replicate his form in Brisbane after a week of rest, a place deep in the second week is his for the taking.

“What makes me happiest is I (have) never really played well in Australia before. I didn't have the results here. Finally I won a tournament playing really good tennis, which gives me a lot of confidence for Melbourne,” Soderling said.

“Now I have the best preparation I could have. Five good matches here and now I'll have a week of rest and practice in Melbourne. I'll be ready to go.”

“These conditions, they should suit me really well. I don't know why I haven't played well here before. Now I'm finally show myself I can play well here. I can play well on any surface, which is a really nice feeling.”

Soderling's charge at a maiden grand slam will be watched intently by a country with a wonderful pedigree in the men's game. As Sweden's top player, he occupies a lofty mantle formerly held by the likes of Bjorn Borg and Stefan Edberg.

He is aware of the mighty expectations on his shoulders and welcomes the added weight.

“I see it (pressure) as a positive thing,” Soderling said. “We've had so many good players in the past. They all inspired me a lot, which is why I started to play tennis. That's how I got into tennis.

“There was always someone to watch. Now it's only me but I really hope I can do a little bit of the same for kids back in Sweden.”

Roddick, the world number eight, lost the battle against Soderling but leaves Brisbane full of vigour about his chances in Melbourne. The Brisbane crowd loves him as well, especially after he donated $10,800 to the flood appeal – some $200 for every ace he served during the tournament.

“I thought I hit the ball pretty well this week, I thought I returned well, I think I can serve a little better, but if there is one thing that I don't worry about much is my serve,” Roddick said.

“If I had won today I don't think I would feel much different about my preparation going into Melbourne. I feel I got what I needed out of this week.”

andy roddick vs roger federer
andy roddick images
andy roddick tennis star
andy roddick wallpapers
andy roddick
andy roddick
andy roddick
andy roddick
andy roddick sports