Thursday, January 13, 2011

david beckham images

  • Stuart James
  • bentley
    David Bentley is looking to revive his career at Birmingham City after joining on loan from Spurs. Photograph: Mike Egerton/Empics Sport

    They have the same initials, both are renowned for their crossing ability from the right flank and, in the eyes of some people, they also look alike, but David Bentley recoils at the idea that he idolises David Beckham. "I give you my word that I don't wake up in the morning with his poster on the wall and start worshipping it or look to see how he's done his hair today, so I can do mine the same," Bentley says, smiling.

    The former Arsenal trainee, who has joined Birmingham City on loan until the end of the season, could be forgiven for wanting to distance himself from comparisons with the former England captain before others do that job for him. The parallels seemed plausible when Steve McClaren hailed Bentley as "the new David Beckham" on the eve of his full England debut in 2007, but the 26-year-old has done nothing to justify that title during his time at Tottenham Hotspur.

    Although he describes the two and a half years he has spent at Spurs since his £15m move from Blackburn as "a series of unfortunate events", there is no hint of any resentment about the club's decision to farm him out on loan to make way for Beckham.

    There is, however, plenty of frustration when it comes to the way he believes he has been portrayed, with Bentley particularly upset with the perception that he has become a "big-time Charlie" who has lost his hunger to play football.

    "I just want to play – to run out on a Saturday or Sunday there's nothing better. That's what I love doing," says Bentley, who is set to make his Birmingham debut in the derby against Aston Villa at St Andrew's on Sunday.

    "There's probably a misconception of me. Sometimes people think I don't want to play but I love what I do. I love waking up in the morning, coming to work and sometimes it can get lost in translation that I toss things off. Sometimes you will see me bouncing behind cameras, throwing things over the manager [as he did when he chucked a bucket of ice water over Harry Redknapp at the end of last season]. I just love enjoying myself, being around the lads.

    "People sometimes get this perception that I'm a big-time Charlie. But that is not the case. I come from a working-class background, I have all the same people around me – my mum and dad. I haven't lost touch with where I've come from."

    Bentley has, though, forgotten what it feels like to play on a regular basis. He has started one Premier League game this season and made only three appearances in total. It is a dismal record yet one that he can hardly complain about when Aaron Lennon has been so impressive on the right wing in a Spurs side that have excelled.

    "The team were doing so well," says Bentley, who also highlights the injuries he has suffered at Tottenham. "It's very hard for a manager to put me in. How can you? I wouldn't have picked myself."

    Beckham is not expected to have the same difficulties getting in the side if his loan move from LA Galaxy eventually comes off, although Bentley sounds genuinely excited about that prospect. "It will be great, won't it?" he says.

    "Like me, he's never had to rely on his pace, so it's his quality with the ball that will come through. It can only have a positive effect. It's great for the club. It gives it the worldwide appeal. Everyone will know about Tottenham, which will take them to a new level."

    He could certainly learn a few things from the way Beckham handles life in the media spotlight. "I think more with my heart than my head sometimes," says Bentley, when asked how he can change the way he is perceived by people.

    "Sometimes you can be protected by public relations' teams and all the rest of it. You lot [the press] know, you can make a pile of shit look like gold. I've never bought into that. I've played my football, smiled and gone home."

    He has no idea what the future holds at Spurs, where he has two and a half years left on his contact, but there is a burning desire to make the most of the chance Birmingham have given him. "A lot of people will be watching me to see how I react here. I need to get my fundamentals right. It's what this team deserves.

    "They don't deserve me to come here and think I'm this creative player who doesn't have to run much. I'm going to have to graft.

    "I was in the same position when I was at Blackburn. If I do the groundwork, do the running, I know my quality will come through."

david beckham
david beckham sports player
david beckham sports player
david beckham sports player
sports player david beckham
wallpaper of david beckham
david beckham sports player
david beckham
david beckham sport player